RE: Vacation - Company Policy

This is not normally a discussion I would jump into, but I don't agree with
Bill on the quality of care in this country - especially in regards to
healthcare. I tend to agree most with Christopher Wright and Conrad Guymon.
In fact, in most cases, nurses and Nurse Practioneers will do a more
comprehensive job in the emergency room and in practice than a doctor. When
someone is suturing you up, you can bet that they are qualified as more than
a low level technician.
I went to the urgent care last year for a Bronchial infection - the third
time I had been to this particular urgent care. In each case I received
excellent treatment from a Nurse rather than a doctor. The Nurse Practioneer
provided all prescriptions I needs, took care of the lung X-ray's and
followed through until I was well.
Another friend of mine has had all of his children (four kids) born in
British Columbia as his wife is Canadian. When she was ready to deliver,
they went to BC and stayed with her family while she had her children. Not
only was she covered (I don't know if there is any nominal cost) but the
quality of care she reported was excellent compared to what we have in this
country.
If it is a choice of Socialized Medicine or Private plans, there is no
excuse for 40 million children in this country who are not covered by any
form of healthcare. This wouldn't happen in Europe or Canada.

Now admittedly, I am out of my range of experience here other than what
people tell me or I read on this list, but in my opinion, there is no
perfect social system and ours is far from perfection.

The trend in medicine today as most of you who are married to others in the
health care industry, is to transfer more responsibility from the physician
to the nursing staff. In my opinion, married to a nurse, this is a wise
move. They may not have the education that physicians have, but they learn a
great deal more from practical experience than most doctors who walk in,
read a chart and prescribe. Nurses spend more time per patient dealing with
them as human beings rather than a financial component for their next
Mercedes.

Personally, I'm glad to see doctors who are giving their ego's a reality
check. We may be facing the return of the visiting doctor who until less
than 25 years ago still made house calls.

As to the Vacation issue - the solution is simple. If you can't live with
the benefit package offered - change to Per Diem (no benefits but higher
wages) and put together your own benefit package including vacation time. If
you must take time off that conflicts with your employers needs, don't be
upset if you are replaced when you return. That is the benefits of a Per
Diem position.

Dennis S. Wish, PE