RE: MORE ABOUT TRUSSES...

First I would like to more correctly state something I had recommended to
you about stitch welding the double angles together... I think someone else
pointed this out correctly  but when welded together the kl/r between welds
of each member (angle) should not exceed 3/4 of the kl/r of the composite
member (as per AISC ASD 9th Ed. Section E4 Paragraph 5)

I think applying the 5 kips (if desired) should be done at bottom panel
points.  I think the check with the loads at the top panels might be overly
conservative.  If it were to be used as a hoisting point most people would
go to the closest point... besides the roof panel may not allow someone to
go above the top chord.

Collateral Load is essentially Dead Load.  It should be included with dead
load in any "Gravity" load combinations and NOT included with wind uplift
load combinations.  The theory behind this approach is that the "collateral"
load may not be attached to every supporting member, it might be connected
to every other one or something like that.  If assumed it may not connect to
each supporting member then it is conservatively placed with gravity
combinations and conservatively NOT placed with uplift combinations.

Quick Moment/Depth (M/D) check...  This can be done at any length along the
truss.  Typically I would start at the highest moment.  Since most trusses
are simple span the highest moment occurs in the middle of the span.  For
open web frames (I think this is the case you are asking about) there might
be a fixed connection at the sidewall columns.  This will alter the moment
diagram and this should be taken into account.  What I would do , and keep
in mind this is not exact and only provides a starting point, is calculate
the maximum moment and divide this number by the assumed total depth of the
truss at that point.

Simplified Example:
20 ft trib width
40 psf roof load
40*20=800 plf
Max. Moment (Assume 110 ft simple span) = (wl^2)/8 = 14,520 kip-in
Assumed depth = 4 ft = 48 inches
M/d = 302.5 kips
Assuming 0.6*Fy*Area (Fy=50 ksi, High Strength Steel) *** Might consider
using 0.66*Fy or 0.75*Fy to make sure you don't miss a lighter case that may
work.
0.6*Fy= 30 ksi

Area(Required)= (M/d)/(0.6*Fy) = 10.08 Inches
Use a chord with Area >= 10.08 inches (Usually pick a selection that is
readily available, refer to Modern Steel Construction, they annually publish
charts showing which sections are more available then others... or consult
your standard steel supplier)

This gives you a ROUGH area to start with.  A chord with the area less than
calculated above would likely not work.  If .66Fy was used then the
possibilty of a section with less area working decreases.  If used .75Fy was
used then I would think only the rarest cases (if any) would work with less
area than calculated above.

Hope this helps,
Greg Effland, P.E.