Re: ASCE 7-98 Vs. ASCE 7-95 (Wind Provisions)

Mauricio,

Your local jurisdiction will tell you which code is acceptable.  I too work here in the state of Florida and have had projects rejected due to the different ASCE 7's.  In fact I think Dade and Broward county still use ASCE 7-93 while the rest of the state requires ASCE 7-95.  At this point ASCE 7-98 still hasn't been adopted but from what I know it will be soon...

ASCE 7 comparisons for wind provisions (general):

ASCE 7-95 is a big increase from ASCE 7-93 (wind velocities increased and decreased coefficients).

ASCE 7-98 is a happy median for most people between ASCE 7-93 and ASCE 7-95 (wind velocities reduced and the coefficients increased).

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Brian McMahon, E.I.T. (Heavy Timber Design)
Universal Building Specialties, Inc.
Auburndale, Florida 33823