Re: Urgent virus alert

********* SULFNBK.EXE -------HOAX according to Norton Anti-Virus, click on
link to read about it  *********

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html

This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in the
hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to
restore long file names, and like any .exe file, it can be infected by a
virus that targets .exe files.
The virus/worm W32.Magistr.24876@mm can arrive as an attachment named
Sulfnbk.exe. The Sulfnbk.exe file used by Windows is located in the
C:\Windows\Command folder. If the file is located in any other folder, or
arrives as an attachment to a email message, then it is possible that the
file is infected. In this case, if a scan with the latest virus definitions
and with NAV set to scan all files does not detect the file as being
infected, quarantine and submit the file to SARC for analysis by following
the instructions in the document How to submit a file to SARC using Scan and
Deliver.
If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from the C:\Windows\Command folder
and want to know how to restore the file, you should contact your computer
manufacturer or Microsoft for assistance. As an alternative, If you are
running Windows 98 or Windows Me, see the document How to extract files in
Safe Mode under Windows 98 or Windows Millennium.
NOTE: The instructions in this document are provided for your convenience.
The extraction of Windows files uses Microsoft programs and commands.
Symantec does not provide warranty support for or assistance with Microsoft
products.

A new version of this hoax has additional text stating the virus will
activate on June 1st:

It was brought to my attention yesterday that a virus is in circulation via
email. I looked for it and to my surprise I found it on mine. ..
Please follow the directions and remove it from yours TODAY!!!!!!!

No Virus software can detect it.  It will become active on June 1, 2001.
It might be too late by then. It wipes out all files and folders on
the hard drive. This virus travels thru E-mail and migrates to the
'C:\windows\command' folder.

The bad part is: You need to contact everyone you have sent ANY
E-mail to in the past few months. Many major companies have found this virus
on
their computers. Please help your friends !!!!!!!!

DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. McAFEE and NORTON CANNOT
DETECT IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT BECOME A VIRUS UNTIL JUNE 1ST.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!!!

Category: Hoax

Please ignore any messages regarding this hoax and do not pass on messages.
Passing on messages about the hoax only serves to further propagate it.

McAFee says HOAX

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99084&;

Virus Characteristics:

AVERT HOAX Notice!!

McAfee AVERT Labs would like to inform you of a new email HOAX.

This email message is just a HOAX. Although, the SULFNBK.EXE file may become
infected by a number of valid viruses, the details of this message are not
based on actual events.

We are advising users who receive the email to delete it and DO NOT pass it
on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.

Williston "Bill" L. Warren, IV - S.E.
Structural Engineering SOLutions
Newport Beach, California