From: Nora Miller [mailto:nmiller(--nospam--at)browngay.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 9:35 AM
To: SEA List
Subject: STAAD vs ...

I just started a new job with a transportation firm where I am responsible
for starting up a bridge design group.  I have five years experience in
bridge design.  At my old company I used STAAD for any frame analysis that
needed to be done.  Now I am trying to decide what kind of software to
purchase and am overwhelmed by the choices.  Obviously, I am very
comfortable with STAAD, but have heard that STAAD.pro has a lot of bugs.  I
am considering RISA-2D and VisualAnalysis (IES).  Anybody have any advice
for me?

(I was told this would start a whole STAAD-bashing session that would last
for days...  I apologize if this is a recurring issue -- I've just joined
the list.  I'd appreciate anything you can tell me.)