RE: STAAD vs ...

You might also want to at least look at RISA.  I know that RISA can do a
"moving" load, of which some of the built-in "moving" loads are for AASHTO
lines for the AASHTO.

What I don't recall is if the steel design checks can be done per AASHTO,
which I believe varies slightly in some cases from AISC specifications.

Still worth looking into...good analysis package with really good product
support.

HTH,

Scott