let's get creative

Gray,

Block out some concrete around reinforcing steel and attached stirrups.
*You* stuff it with cardboard or newspapers after the iron workers have
placed the reinforcing so that the students will see how reinforcing is
actually placed and stirrups tied.  After all, the concrete in tension areas
is there only to provide protection to the steel and does not contribute to
the strength of the member.

Mount laminated details of the working drawings adjacent to each exposed
element.

Some things you won't be able to expose, so have the fabricator make cut-away
mock-ups.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Gray Hodge wrote:

. > Here's a chance to brainstorm a bit.

. > I am working on a new building at a nearby community college.  The
. > building will house the construction technology department and the
. > architect and owner/user have really opened the doors for free
. > thinking.  The idea is that as students learn about various aspects of
. > building construction technology they will then be able to go and see
. > the concepts they are learning put into practice.  For the structural
. > design, that means a lot of exposed elements, such as beams, columns,
. > connections, bond beams, etc.  For the M/E/P portion of the design,
. > there will be exposed ducts, mechanical rooms with windows for visual
. > access, exposed plumbing systems, etc.

. > We are in the design development stages, now, and we have proposed
. > several ideas such as:

. > An entry terrace with a steel teaching sculpture similar to the one at
. > Univ. of Florida and a U.S.G.S. benchmark.

. > A tensioned-fabric canopy at the entrance

. > Separate classrooms featuring exposed to view steel construction,
. > cast-in-place concrete construction, heavy timber construction, precast
. > concrete construction and masonry construction.  (Have we left anyone
. > out?).

. > I'm hoping the structural engineering community may have some more ideas
. > on how to enlighten future contractors, designers and technicians.  For
. > instance, I haven't really had any great ideas on how to feature
. > foundation elements.  Do any of you have any ideas or know of other
. > buildings/projects that we should look at for inspiration?

. > At this point, anything goes

. > Thanks

. > Gray Hodge