From: Matthew Stuart [mailto:m.stuart(--nospam--at)aespj.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 2:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Plug Welding Anchor Bolts and Rebar to End Plates

For a number of years I have solved the problem of tension anchor bolts that
were placed in the field with insufficient length to properly engage the nut
by simply plug welding the top of the bolt to the base plate. I have a
similar situation in which I wish to do the same thing with a rebar but a
colleague of mine says that he thinks there is no standard AWS provision for
such a weld.  When I told him I had used similar repairs to anchor bolts
that had been approved by other licensed engineers in seismic regions out
west he asked for me to find the AWS specifications for this application as
well. Unfortunately I have confirmed that no such AWS spec exists for such
an application.  Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I might
find some technical guidelines on the type of welding described so that I
can justify what has been done in the field successfully for some time?