From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 1:05 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: History Buffs (Waayyy off topic)

Dave:

While in Washington DC last year attending ASCE's OPAL/OCEA Banquet, I picked up a biography of Jefferson in the bowels of his monument.  That led to further study of his life and times, including his "second family", which had recently been proven via DNA.  (Before you flame me, go visit http://www.monticello.org/plantation/hemings_resource.html.)

By then, I was hooked on the history of revolutionary America.  I have subsequently read several thousand pages.  Some of the books were great, and others were awful.  So far, my favorites are "Patriots" and "Founding Brothers".  If you need full titles and authors, I will have to retrieve them from home, since that's where I do my recreational reading (excluding this Listserv, of course).

Stan