Re: History Buffs (Waayyy off topic)

RE: History Buffs (Waayyy off topic)Bill,

I normally refrain from most of the off-topic stuff but can't help but speak
up here -- the muddying of history being a pet peeve.

The long-running debate about the relationship between Thomas Jefferson and
Sally Hemmings is not an invention of the "Left" and is older than Bill
Clinton.  The Thomas Jefferson Foundation, which is the relatively
conservative group which owns and operates Monticello as a National Historic
Monument, formed a research committee of distinguished scholars and
historians to review the recent DNA test results and other information.  The
following is an except from their report as publised in January of last year
and available on the web (see www.monticello.org):

"Based on the examination of currently available primary and secondary
documentary evidence, the oral histories of descendants of Monticello's
African-American community, recent scientific studies, and the guidance of
individual members of Monticello's Advisory Committee for the International
Center for Jefferson Studies and Advisory Committee on African-American
Interpretation, the Research Committee has reached the following
conclusions:

... The DNA study, combined with multiple strands of currently available
documentary and statistical evidence, indicates a high probability that
Thomas Jefferson fathered Eston Hemings, and that he most likely was the
father of all six of Sally Hemings's children appearing in Jefferson's
records. Those children are Harriet, who died in infancy; Beverly; an
unnamed daughter who died in infancy; Harriet; Madison; and Eston."