RE: Cutoff Wall In Concrete Transition

I haven't really done any hydraulic structures since I was in the army's
engineer officer course, but I seem to recall that the "cutoff" wall is
required for erosion control.  If you search the US Army Corps of Engineers
site (I think it is www.usace.army.mil) you can probably find some good
references.  Or, you can try FM 5-430-00-1 (Roads & Airfields) at the
following link:

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/5-430-00-1/toc.htm

There should be a few chapters on drainage structures.

Hope that helps,
Jack