RE: History Buffs (Waayyy off topic)

Title: RE: History Buffs (Waayyy off topic)
Dave Adams wrote:

Thanks, Stan -- if it's not too much trouble, maybe look up the authors / titles and send it to me tomorrow.

Okay, Dave:

What follows is a list of the books that I have read in the past year on the American Revolution.  They are listed from best to worst.  None of these books address military history in any detail.  If you are wanting to know who commanded the left flank, how many cannon he had, etc., these books won't help you.  On the other hand, if you are wanting to understand what happened in Colonial America and in Western Europe between 1763 and 1800, as well as why it happened, these books will get it done.

I purchased most of these books in paperback on www.amazon.com and www.barnsandnoble.com.  Both of these websites offer subject and author searches, book reviews, and reader surveys, in addition to discount prices.

1]  Patriots: The Men Who Started The American Revolution ... A. J. Langguth

2]  Founding Brothers ... Joseph J. Ellis

3]  Washington: The Indispensable Man ... James Thomas Flexner

4]  Thomas Jefferson: A Life ... Willard Sterne Randall

5]  Franklin of Philadelphia ... Esmond Wright

6]  A History Of The American Revolution ... John R. Alden

When I emigrated from Wisconsin to Texas 30 years ago, I quickly discovered that I was like a "fish out of water."  In order to have a successful life and career in Texas, I knew that I quickly had to learn about Texas culture and the history behind it.  The excellent book which follows did the trick.  Subsequently, I re-read it every 10 years or so, just to enhance my appreciation of what a privilege it is to be a naturalized Texan!  I recommend it to anyone who works in Texas, or who works with Texans.

1T]  Lone Star:  A History of Texas and Texans ... T. R. Fehrenbach

Best regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

A book is a mirror; if an ass peers into it
you can't expect an apostle to peer out!
             ... Georg Christoph Lichtenberg