RE: New OSHA rules for steel erection

The final rule becomes effective July 17, 2001.  The final rule was supposed
to be published in the Federal Register on Jan. 18, 2001.  I also wonder
about a job that has steel that was fabricated in 2000 before the final rule
was published but has not been erected yet.

I do not entirely agree with Drew's statement  as shown below.  We can and
should choose to design column base plates with four anchor bolts.  We can
and should choose to design connections, where two pieces are supported by
one connection, is such a way that the first piece is safely supported while
the second piece is connected.  These are just two of the ways that this
regulation affects erection that the engineer can either help or get in the
way.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.