RE: Porch Concrete Cracking

Bill Cain,

Thanks for the tip, I'll be careful. I don't see the harm in writing a letter listing why cracks occur in concrete and some methods of avoiding those cracks. Textbooks written and sold in California contain this information and are not Stamped and Signed when authored by PE's. By purchasing the book, I am a client of the Author, aren't I? I wouldn't be charging my friend as I am not spending hours in preparation of this letter. Maybe I should just type a list or photocopy a page out of a text and let him handle it until things get "more serious"

I know Charles Greenlaw used to post quite frequently regarding some of the policies and trends the CA Board adhered to and planned to implement.

Are proposal letters, emails, Christmas cards all required to be stamped now so we don't get punished by the Board?  simply because it goes from PE to Client?

Do all of you in CA Sign and Seal RFI's ? Do you all really get around to preparing those As-Builts at the end of the job 100% of the time?

I think I am safe if I address the letter to my friend, disclaim that this is not an evaluation of his property and specific condition and simply recommend him to speak with his builder regarding how the porch was constructed by asking him to show him the site work concrete details in the construction documents. I will draw no specific conclusions or guesses on this project.

Seems like the board could spend it's time much better, like going after people practicing without licenses, and speeding up their PE and SE exam correction times. California is usually one of the last to report the scores from the PE exam, but they do have the most test takers and two additional test to run through the scantron.

Thanks again for the advice- much appreciated.
-Gerard
San Francisco, CA

>>> bcain(--nospam--at)ebmud.com 06/01/01 09:23AM >>>
Gerard-
Bill is correct about California law (How does an opinionated Texan know
these things?  <ROTFL>  ).  It requires you to seal any engineering report
(i.e., letter, report, evaluation or whatever) that you prepare.  If it can
be shown that you prepared the document, and it represents what the Board
views as an engineering report, then they can take action against you. They
have, in the past, even opined that preparing plan check comments was
issuing an engineering report whcih needed to be sealed (although I note
they have removed the opinion from their website.  BE CAREFUL!
Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Oakland  CA