RE: Porch Concrete Cracking

That doesn't surprise me. I remember when the Texas sealing rules first came
into effect about fifteen years ago. It took a lot of engineers here by
surprise when they learned that much of what they had been doing was NOW
against the rules (example: doing work in a manufacturing or chemical plant,
as part of a design-build team. Previously such work wasn't considered to
require sealing since it was being done exclusively on private property. I
actually nearly got canned from one job when I pointed out to a project
manager that the Chemical Engineers were going to have to be registered in
order to submit all their little reports, and insisted that he was
endangering the company by ignoring my warnings).

As a rule of thumb, I seal anything, even LETTERS, that go out to my clients
under my letterhead as a means of rendering an opinion based on engineering
judgement. I think it is dangerous to do otherwise.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251