Re: WOOD CONNECTOR: Prying Force

Bill,

I tend to design connections that involve tension only connectors (such as
bolts and rely on bearing to counter the tension forces) similar to
reinforced concrete design using working stress procedures.  After all,
aren't the bolts/anchors similar to reinforcing in that they can take tension
only, and isn't the connector interface incapable of taking tension, and
isn't the tension in the bolts/anchors resisted by bearing (compression)
between the two elements?

However, with wood there is another problem and that is the allowable bearing
stress is based on a deformation (crushing) limit in the wood of 0.04" (NDS
4.2.6).  For that condition, I don't have any suggestions.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona