Footbridges

In regard to the recent inquiry on setting up suspended bridges in a
Brazilian canopy resort, I ran across an article of interest avaible on the
web.  I think others on the list will also find this of interest and
recommend you all read it (it is short, too).  It is an interview with Toni
Ruttimann, who has been building footbridges in villages in Ecuador and
Honduras for the last 14 years for humanitarian purposes.  What he has done
with almost nothing but volunteer effort and mostly surplus material is
just stunning.  If you have ever wanted to feel good about what structural
engineering can do for people, read this article.

Download the article at:
http://www.iabse.ethz.ch/sei/backissues/abstracts.sei0001/BridgesMakingADif
ference.pdf

Or visit the IABSE website at www.iabse.ethz.ch and click your way to the
Structural Engineering International journal, Volume 10, Number 1 published
in February 2000 to find the article link.