From: syed faiz ahmad [mailto:syedfaiz23(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 12:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Bomb Shelter

Gentlemen/Women
I have a problem which i want to share discussions with our fellow learned
engineers on the List.
We built an underground bomb shelter which have wall openings provisioned
for the Blast resistant doors. There were no provisions left for "hold
fasts" for fixing the blast doors at the time of casting of this bomb
shelter. The peripheral walls of the shelter are 700 mm (2 ft-4 in) thick &
the intermediate walls receiving these doors are 300 mm (12-in) thick.The
top & bottom slabs are 700 mm (2ft-4in)thick. These doors are basically
leading to escape shafts & also serving some rooms. The blast doors have now

been received so we know now exactly the number & location of the "hold
fasts"; this information was not available at the time of concreting, that
is why no provisions could be made for "hold fasts" then. We are now
intending to break open portions in the walls to fix these hold fasts & fill

back the openings with epoxy concrete.These are bomb shelter walls so there
are of course, a jumble of rebars. This will involve cutting of some of the
rebars as well.There is no way to do some analysis because these are bomb
shelters designed by some Consultant some 15-20 yers ago and are being
copied generation to generation. No data on these blast forces are available

which would basically be generated by surrounding air after enemy air
attack. So,as you see, we have to work empirically on pure engineering
judgements.I know from research, structural elements repaired with epoxy
concrete become very strong & under load tests it yields from some other
locations & not at the locations where it was repaired using epoxy concrete.

This is satisfying to me & i can try & sell this to the supervising
Consultant. But there could be questions on its integrity to resist blast
pressure, especially because weak points have been created , interms of
openings made in walls to fix the "hold fasts". So,my question is: do other
fellow engineers agree with this procedure Or they would like to suggest
some better  or alternative recourse?
SYED FAIZ AHMAD
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SAUDI OGER LTD