Re: Knock out panel

Chris,

You need to make two analysis if your knockout panel occurs in the same line as another tilt-up panel. The relative rigidities will change which will change how any collector forces are distributed along the shear line when performing an in-plane analysis. If it's an interior shearwall and no other wall occurs in the line, the collector force distribution won't change.

Design the panel itself considering the knock out panel is already gone. Determine the required reinfocing in the remaining legs, check if you need to detail it as a wall pier or boundary elements at the ends, provide steel at the top of the opening to take the gravity load (lintel steel). Put the code minimum trim bars around the opening and additional trim steel if required for analysis.

The anchorage of the infill is something I wouldn't worry about if the panel is to be sawcut to achieve the knockout. Just use typical reinforcing that will be cut away by the saw. At the base, of the opening, make sure you have the trim steel there too.

Make sure you have enough slab dowels in the remaining legs to get the shear into the slab/footing.

hope that helps,
-gerard
Santa Clara, CA (I'm at home)

>>> cyltse(--nospam--at)pacbell.net 06/01/01 21:21 PM >>>
Gentlemen/women,
I am designing a warehouse/office type tilt-up structure. In which, I am
required to
provide knock out panels through sets of interior cross panels for
future expansion. The panel through which a 12' x 12' knock out panel is
required, is a 30' x 23' x 9- 1/4" panel and the knock out portion will
be about center of the big panel. This panel will serve as a load
bearing and a shear wall. Building is to be in seismic zone 4.
I like to seek expert opinion as to 1. what kind of ap and Rp should I
ue to design anchorage between the knock out and the overall panel, 2.
any particular detailing
should I watch for.
Appreciate very much in advance.
Chris Tse