RE: Styrofoam Panel

Roger,
I think the information you're seeking can be found on the Structural
Insulated Panel Association Website at http://www.sips.org. We have had
builders who have wanted to use the panels in Southern California but who
did not want to pay the price for testing and ICBO certification on the
panels for lateral strength. A local builder tried to bring the panels into
our area about four years ago and while I was doing some side work for a
plan check agency, we disallowed their use. The panels were manufactured in
Wisconsin and the engineers working for the company could only conceive of
lateral loads as wind loads applied normal to the panels. Each panel had an
appropriate normal maximum load and gravity load, but there was no in-plane
lateral load testing done. They went so far as to put pressure on the local
city council as the project was a large senior housing project. They ended
up building it from conventional lumber but I do understand that there has
been further testing done. You might check this site for links and further
information that would lead to any information on cyclic or monotonic tests
that might have been done.

Dennis