RE: What Is The Material Spec For "Lag Screw"?

Yeah, actually I have this book, and that's the paragraph that got me
thinking about it. The "8D" part is actually in the specification, but it
doesn't say where it came from.

As I said, I calculated, for a 5/16" diameter lag bolt assuming A 307, that
the steel strength is a wee bit over 800#, which sounded reasonable to me. I
think in that case that the "8D" rule would be just about right.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251