From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 1:22 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Link in Columns

Are you referring to a K brace?  if so, there is limited acceptability in
the code for K braces in zone 4, but I do not know a single engineer who
would actually use this configuration.  Historically this type of braced
frame has performed very poorly.
If you use a K brace there are very strict requirements for column
performance that in essence will make this option particularly
un-economical.

If you are asking about links in terms of eccentric braced frames, DO NOT
place the link in the column.

Paul Feather
San Diego, CA