Re: Balcony Floor Vibration

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] My experience of vibration design is that increasing the moment of inertia is not very effective.  A higher I reduces the amplitude, but increases the frequency which leaves you at about the same acceptance level according to Reiher-Meister.  Large increases in I end up providing small benefits.  I've found that the most effective solution is increased mass, either in the floor plate or by tying two floors together.  I've heard of a couple of problem floors that were mitigated by tying them up to the level above with posts.  HTH

Chris Willcox, P.E.

Syed Basith wrote:

This refers to Mr. Steve Kramer's query for 28' long cantilever and its natural frequency. I would suggest that a grid system may work. This will act as one section and will give a better moment of inertia to meet the deflection criteria. Deflection is governed by its moment of intertia. Do reverse ca;culations..
Syed A. Basith, P.Eng.

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********