From: T. Eric Gillham PE [mailto:teric(--nospam--at)gk2guam.com]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 7:55 PM
To: seaoc list
Subject: Golf Course Bridge

I am designing two cart path bridges for a golf course.  First bridge is
3 span 70'+50'+50', second bridge has a single span of 70'.

Wonder of wonders, the owner and the contractor both want to minimize
the cost on the structures, and are asking that I use the minimum live

The largest vehicle used on the golf course is a mower/utility vehicle
with a gross weight of about 2 tons, well below H15 loading.  The
bridges themselves are to be 10 feet wide, and the approaches are so
hilly that it is unlikely that  a truck could even get to the bridges.

Soooo, my question is : Does anyone have experience regarding the use of
loads substantially less than those required by AASHTO for the design of
NON-highway bridges.  If so, are there standard loads?  I was thinking
of using 5 tons as a minimum, and having the owner post a permanent sign
showing the weight restriction.

Also, does the AASHTO manual govern the design of the bridges?  We are
currently under UBC94, soon to switch to the IBC, but I am not all that
familiar with AASHTO requirements (not much bridge work on Guam).  I
would prefer to use UBC94, LRFD 2nd Ed for the girders, and refer to
AASHTO for load distribution (based on 5 ton total weight) and seismic
design.

Any suggestions?

T. Eric R. Gillham PE
PO Box 3207 Agana Guam 96932
Ph:   (671) 477-9224
Fax: (671) 477-3456
Cel  (671) 687-7115

teric(--nospam--at)gk2guam.com <mailto:eteric(--nospam--at)gk2guam.com>