RE: Use of Collar Ties in Light Frame Wood Construction

Thanks Conrad,
I had considered the option and was hoping to find some reference to the use
of collar ties in conventional construction first. We are in the low desert
which means that we never have to deal with snow and rain is generally not
an issue (especially since the roof is a 3:12 pitch).

The only feasible solution here is the collar ties as I have also had to
correct an undersized built-up wood beam (2-2x8's spliced together spanning
22'-6" to support a 12'-6" tributary ceiling). The original design was
obviously conventionally done as the double 2x8 would never have worked and
the deflected ceiling is evidence of this. I designed in a 3.5 X 14"
Parallam PSL 2.0E beam which the ceiling will need to be hung from (as it is
now). This does not leave me a lot of room for the collar ties, however,
they will work if placed slightly below the top third (2/3H) of the peak of
the roof).

Thanks for your suggestion, I may resort to this, but want to check out any
known references first.

Dennis