RE: Use of Collar Ties in Light Frame Wo

Dennis,

That must be a **terrific** house, or your client's wife "fell in love" with
the house and is going to buy it, regardless.

If the house and garage were built at the same time, I would suspect that the
same degree of care was used in the construction of the house.

I think that you will find that nailing is not going to be adequate for
collar ties and that bolting is going to have some edge and end distance
problems.

Since wood under load creeps, the roof has probably taken a permanent set and
it will be impossible to jack it back up to near its original position.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

P.S.  Could "Rafter Ties," as used in the UBC conventional construction
provisions (2320.12.6) be the same as "Collar Ties?"