RE: Use of Collar Ties in Light Frame Wood Construction

Steve please read the post I sent prior to this response. I did not check
the tie nailing as it was not possible to get into this area in the attic -
too tight and filled with insulation. However, the roof is a lightweight
tile about 7-psf. I think the issue was with the ceiling and this started
everything else going. The walls are plumb - no cracks other than in the
gypsum ceiling at mid-span in the garage.
The original design was essentially a soft-story design by nature of an all
glass wall with no lateral support. However, the current owner infilled
windows and make more solid walls to keep the home cooler here in the hot
desert.
I checked out the rest of the home and other than it conforms to
Conventional Construction Provisions, the home is in very good condition
with few cracks in either stucco or gypsum (it has not been painted in a
couple of years inside or out). The slab is in good shape inside the home as
well as in the garage. I think it boils down to the finishing of a garage
interior that was not meant to carry the weight of finishing materials - as
I've mentioned in the other post.

Thanks again for your comments.
Dennis