Golf Course Bridge

Jonathan Mallard wrote in response to Subject: RE: Golf Course Bridge
"Eric,
One thing to consider is the eventual intended use of the bridge.
No matter what they tell you the maximum loading will be, you can
be assured that it will eventually see more.  Think about the truck
full of sand to put in the bunkers, or full of dirt to build a new tee.
I'll go out on a limb and say that I think your loading is going to be
more than the 2 tons you've mentioned.  On every course I've ever
played, I've always seen a vehicle using a golf cart bridge.

Another thing to consider about you posting is whether the course
owner will allow such a posting on his course.  Depends on how snooty
the club is going to be.

If I was doing the design, I'd think very hard about using H15 as
the governing live load case."

Eric, I worked on two golf course grounds-crews during hign school and college
and my brother is director of parks and golf for a major mountain resort city so
I can speak from experience.  I agree with Jonathan in principle - although a
small dump-truck loaded with say 4 c.y. of damp/loose sand is probably closer to
an H10 loading. Golf course maintenance is usually performed by young people who
are not conscious of bridge loads and such - their interests lie more with the
opposite sex, how they will spend their paycheck, and finding out if it is
quitting time.  If the bridge is WIDE enough and long enough for a small
dump-truck (or two) overloaded with sand pouring over the sides to dress the
greens (leaf-springs bulging), and two Massey Fergusson tractors, a tee mower,
and a partridge in a pear tree, all in convoy (waiting for the truck to slowly
navigate that small width of bridge), you can bet your sweet life it probably
WILL be loaded that way at some time during the life-span of that bridge - no
matter WHAT the boss tells them.  Look, golf courses usually have lots of money
- and some golfers and golf pros can get pretty snotty - don't let them bully
you from doing what you think is right.  You're the design "pro" here.

Good luck...