Re: ACI Code requirement: ties at steel

Keith,

Yes, I design that way not only in concrete, but also in masonry whenever
anchor bolts are installed to support a concentrated load and regardless of
the material used to transfer that concentrated load. The ties provide
*confinement* to the concrete and increases its ability to take compressive
forces.  In masonry walls, I use hairpins around anchor bolts at edges of
openings and ends of walls.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Keith Fix wrote:

. > But do you detail this way, and why?

. > -Keith