RE: Snow load in combination with seismic.

We use 50% of a 40 psf load in Anchorage, Alaska combined with seismic

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Marczewski [mailto:bmarczewski(--nospam--at)martind.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 1:30 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Snow load in combination with seismic.

I have a multi-story building with high snow loads located in a very low
seismic region (zone 1).  The building official is unable to provide
information regarding the percentage of snow load in excess of 30psf that
should be used in combination with the seismic load.  My preliminary
calculations consisted of using 100% of the snow in the seismic dead load,
and I feel this is a significant penalty.  I have previously been able to
use only 25% of the snow load in seismic zone 3 in Jackson, Wyoming.  On the
other hand, Steamboat Springs, Colorado (zone 1) has required 100% of the
snow load to be used in combination with the seismic load.  The 1997 UBC
states that snow loads beyond 30psf must be considered in seismic design,
but may be reduced up to 75% when approved by the local building official.
What should I do, or does anyone have any recommendation on what percentage
of snow to use when the building official cannot provide guidance on this
issue?  I think the use of 100% snow load in combination with seismic is
really to harsh.  Comments would be great.  Thank you.

Bill S. Marczewski
Martin Design, Inc.
1360 S. Clarkson St.
Denver, CO 80210
bmarczewski(--nospam--at)martind.com <mailto:bmarczewski(--nospam--at)martind.com>