From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)d-fd.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ACI Code requirement: ties at steel
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:14:18 -0700

Keith,

The 97 UBC sections are 1921.4.4.8 and 1921.7.4 and it does not seem to
appear in ACI 318.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

----- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/DFD on 06/06/01 02:08 PM -----

                    Keith Fix
                    <kefix@yahoo.        To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                    com>                 cc:     asherma(--nospam--at)c-b.com
                    06/06/01
                    10:19 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    seaint

Thanks!  All this makes sense, but I've missed it these last 6+ years (as
have
my previous employers).

I also found the code references, with help from Mitch Sklar.  They are:

1996 BOCA 1913.1.3
1997 SBC 1914.1.7

I also noted the requirement for 9" embedment; I've used 8" in the past and
only switched to 12" in the last 2-3 years in conjuction with my adoption
of a
1'-4" minimum footing thickness.

Thanks to you both.  I am appropriately humbled.

-Keith

--- Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com> wrote:
> Keith,
>
> Yes, I design that way not only in concrete, but also in masonry whenever
> anchor bolts are installed to support a concentrated load and regardless
of
> the material used to transfer that concentrated load. The ties provide
> *confinement* to the concrete and increases its ability to take
compressive
> forces. In masonry walls, I use hairpins around anchor bolts at edges of
> openings and ends of walls.
>
> A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
> Tucson, Arizona
>
> Keith Fix wrote:
>
> . > But do you detail this way, and why?
>
> . > -Keith
>
> . > --- Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com> wrote:
>
> > Keith,
> >
> > Good practice is not always codified.
> >
> > A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
> > Tucson, Arizona
> >
> > Keith Fix wrote:
> >
> > . > I give up! I can't find it!
> >
> > . > My boss remebers a code requirement for ties around anchor bolts
for
> > steel
> > . > columns and/or at the tops of concrete pedestals for steel columns.
We

> > . > have only been able to find the requirement in the earthquake
section
> of
>
> > . > UBC 97, but not for general loading or in any other code.
> >
> > . > If anyone knows where this code requirement can be found, PLEASE
REPLY!