Re: Snow load in combination with seismic.

Bill

The Anchorage Amendments to the UBC/IBC requires a minimum of 25% of the
snow load to be included.  This particular provision of the code
actually started here and was introduced into the UBC at the insistance
of several Alaskan engineers.

Since your building official has not set any limits, I would suggest
that if you do not want to use full snow load that you suggest a
percentage based on your experience and knowledge of the area.  Include
consideration of the frequency of maximum snow load vs required design
snow load, and frequency of earthquakes, potentential of the maximum
snow load remaining of the roof as a result of wind or melting which is
a function of heat lose insulation and weather.  The 25 percent that we
use is based on approximate statistics of maximum snow load and
earthquake at the same time.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.