Re: Tilt Up systems

I have not followed the entire Tilt-up thread, however I am currently working on several Tilt-up projects of the 3 to 4 story variety with all exterior load bearing walls. They appear to be as economical as other systems.  But that typically depends on the contractors perspective.

>>> pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com 06/07/01 09:31PM >>>
I would think that a precast system would become a better approach than
trying to do multiple elevations of tilt-up.  From my experience, one or two
stories is about the most economical and best suited for tilt-up. I have
seen three stories, but these typically are just tilt-up cladding systems
with interior gravity columns.  They may have been used as shear walls but I
am not sure.

As the stories go up, I think you will have a real problem trying to get the
panels thin enough for economical tilt-up and still function as shear walls
without shear and boundary section limitations.

Past a certain point I would think a pure pre-cast solution would work
better and fit the flow of construction better.  The structure could be
built with cast in place shear walls at the interior and designated exterior
sections, independent gravity system, and the precast applied as cladding.
I would be willing to bet this would be more economical.

Hugh Brooks used to publish a really good reference "The Tilt-up Design
Manual".  Provides an excellent background on the benefits / economies / and
applications of tilt-up construction.  I don't know if he has updated the
publication in light of the 1997 code changes.

Paul Feather
San Diego, CA