Re: Tilt Up systems

The foam that I'm talking about is in the center of the panel.  In actuality, we were using about 1-1/8" of concrete/plaster at each face of the wall and the foam is in the middle.  The steel grid is made up of gage wires, welded in a 2" square pattern.  There is a grid of wire in the middle of each 1" face and then connecting diagonal wires between the faces.   Where conduit and other embedded materials are to be installed, the erector just blows out the foam with compressed air.  In actuality, these panels can be ordered without the foam at the center.  You could probably use some of the panels as shear walls and have others as just vertical bearing walls.  At one time and possibly still around, there were ICBO approvals for these panels.

On our one story structures, the concrete was more just strong plaster - 1000 psi worked fine.  Some tall structures of this material (like warehouses and assembly areas) were constructed.  The wall strength was made possible by a vertical folded plate arrangement.  I have also seen a long span roof using a folded plate configuration.  The structural engineer who designed these buildings is in northern California. (not us).

We came across this system while we were doing some work in Nigeria, but didn't use it until later in Southern California and Mexico.  Below is a link to some examples of the Impac panels:

http://www.impac-international.com/panelpics.htm

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, california