From: "Gerard Madden" <GMadden(--nospam--at)mplusl.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: Tilt-Up

Hugh,

Thanks for the links.

I don't see the economy what so ever for anything bigger than 2 stories in
Seismic Zone 4. Two stories generally means office use with maybe some
warehouse. Office means lots of windows which means lots of wall piers. Lots
of wall piers mean lots of steel in a small area. Lots of steel mean thick
panels to try to reduce the steel and to actually fit all the bars required.
The mass of two floors or more than two floor requires that you use panels
no less than 9" thick at the lower levels if you have at least one solid
shearwall per (or several long chunks of wall). The bearing of tilt panels
can be accommodate with pilasters and thickened ledges. It's the in-plane
capacity that is the problem. Steel braced frame is the way to go for 3-8
story buildings and dual systems above that for high seismic regions. Any
concrete building taller than two stories should be shearwall , moment
frame, or dual.

Collectors are very difficult to get to work in just 1 story buildings that
utilize high load wood diaphragms to deliver seismic. Trying to get 175 kips
to drag into a 9" thick panel is very tough.

Walter, have you looked at the option of Reinforced CMU masonry
construction. It is very conducive to economy when labor is plentiful.

-Gerard
>>> HBAP(--nospam--at)aol.com 06/08/01 07:43AM >>>
The 5th Edition of The Tilt-Up Design & Construction Manual covers the '97
UBC. It is now published by the Tilt-Up Concrete Association (TCA) and a 6th
Edition is planned to debut at TCA's biannual tilt-up design/construction
symposium in Washington, DC, in September. For more information visit
www.tilt-up.org and www.tilt-up.com. Three-and four-story buildings are very
common with full-height tilt-up and panel thickness is little affected since
floors provide lateral support. You can see illustrations on the above
referenced Websites.
Hugh Brooks, SE