From: Scott.Maxwell(--nospam--at)aci-int.org [mailto:Scott.Maxwell(--nospam--at)aci-int.org]
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 3:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ACI 318 - request for comments for improvements

Greetings:

I would like to see if you would provide us with a little assistance, which
ultimately could end up helping yourself.

ACI has heard and received comments about the complexity of the ACI 318
concrete code.  Some surveys have suggested that more structural engineers
prefer to design in steel than in concrete.  Some use these surveys to
conclude that the ACI 318 code is a major contributor to this preference.
This concern has been expressed to ACI by several of the major concrete
trade associations.

We would like to conduct a survey to attempt to determine what areas of the
code need improvement or clarification (note, I hesitate to use the word
"simplification").  The hope is to get some feedback on how to improve the
318 code to make it more useful and user-friendly.

We are currently at a loss, however, as to how approach this problem,
especially since the code itself is rather large, making it difficult to
focus in on particular problems.  We are hoping that you might be willing
to offer some ideas.  For example, what areas of the ACI 318 code do you
find too complex or burdensome to use?  Basically, we are looking for you
to share with us some of you experiences and thoughts on using this code.
We hope that this will help us craft a more through survey that will allow
us to determine how we can make the ACI 318 code a better, more
user-friendly document.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott E. Maxwell, PE, SE
Structural Engineer

ACI International (American Concrete Institute)
38800 Country Club Drive
Farmington Hills, MI  48331

T:  (248) 848-3829
F:  (248) 848-3720
E:  Scott.Maxwell(--nospam--at)aci-int.org