Re: ACI 318 - request for comments for improvements

Scott,

Thanks for the opportunity.

The Code/Commentary side-by-side format is very helpful, and that
publication in combination with SP-17 seems to work very well.  Bringing
Code, Commentary and Design Handbook together into one publication may be a
way of making the Code easier to use -- perhaps some designers are not
familiar with the availability of the SP-17 Design Handbook.

You mentioned reluctance to use the word 'simplification'  to describe any
changes that may come out of the process you have initiated on the List.  I
agree -- to sacrifice either effectiveness or cost-of-construction to make
the Code simpler to use would be a mistake.

Code complexity is not a basis for my selection of materials.  However, my
structures [related to repair and strengthening of old buildings] are
typically not very large or complex.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA