Re: ACI 318 - request for comments for improvements

----- Original Message -----
From: <sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: ACI 318 - request for comments for improvements

>With regard to your comments about steel being much more "forgiving
material",
> it sure wasn't true with regard to the hundreds of welds that broke in the
'94
> seismic event.

Everything is relative.  Sure, the welds broke, but the structures remained
standing.  Not so for a number of concrete & masonry structures.  It all
goes back to the discussion earlier this week about statistics & how much
*risk* is the owner willing to incur / pay for.  Also, lets face it, no
matter how god we think we are, nature is better & stronger.

Scott A. Dunham, PE
Dunham Engineering Services
Dothan, AL
334-678-6948