RE: ACI 318 - request for comments for improvements

I am often surprised at the "design-centric" attitude display by too many of
us.

The ease of design of steel vs. concrete is really not an issue. The
relative cost to construct is the ONLY issue (or should be). Make sure they
pay you adequately for your time, and for some jobs, concrete will STILL
come out on top in terms of total cost.

You're an engineer. You are expected to have the "smarts" to handle these
designs.

If you have trouble, quit and become a plan-checker, or go get a computer
and software, and learn how to use them.

Sheesh.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas