Re: ACI 318 - request for comments for improvements

Many steel structures such as the 4 story AutoClub building in Santa
Clarita had to be torn down it was damaged so badly. The Santa Clarita
City Hall was vacant for 6 months while retrofitting of the steel frame
took place. My point is that unless a lot of effort is taken in the joint
design steel has inherent weakness. I remember the structural engineer
telling me 30 yrs. ago that he chose steel for the frame of the 50 story
ARCO towers in LA because it was more trouble free. It turned out to be
very troublesome because they had to spend over a million $ to x-ray all
the welds and several more millions to redo most of them and that was
before any seismic event.

Someone replied that in steel design all you have to do is calculate the
section modulus and choose a beam and you are done. I hope that person
does a lot more than that in checking the joint design.

Stan Scholl, P. E.
Laguna Beach, CA