Re: ACI 318 - request for comments for improvements

W/o reading other replies, these are my general thoughts:

1. Code requirements are very difficult to track down.  Indexing is
particularly poor.  Often, I find myself at the table of contents reading thru
the section titles in hopes of finding what I need.

2. Equations are obscure and ill-documented.  It takes conversations with
people "in-the-know" to discover the source of most equations.  If you want to
take cues from AISC, the best you could adopt (IMHO) is the extensive
commentary that is becoming the norm for their codes and manuals.  The
reasoning behind several concrete seismic provisions only became clear to me
recently because I met someone who could explain why the provisions were in the
code.

3. A joint Manual/Code publication would be tremendously useful.  While there
are many steel textbooks of incredibly good quality, AISC provides excellent
design aides and guides for construction with the code.  Further than that, the
AISC code itself is free!  How can you continue to justify selling your
admittedly sub-par document when your "competitor" is giving their away?!?!
Personally, I make extensive use of the PCA notes on ACI 318-99 which I got in
connection with a seminar in Little Rock (a very expensive seminar of dubious
quality).

That last paragraph is a little rough - but the comments are valid.

Good luck w/ the "survey",

-Keith Fix, Little Rock