RE: Houston Flooding

This is horrifying. Just imagine! There's another great reason to get a
second floor office!

It is difficult to conceive of the devastation here in Houston. I am out in
Katy, about 25 miles west of downtown, and we got barely anything, only an
inch and a half over Friday night into Saturday, whereas many areas in a
line from just north of downtown through to the south of town got over TWO
FEET!! of rain.

I went down to the Police Department for the City of Belair (a small burg
just to the west of downtown that is completely surrounded by Houston) to
inspect the walls of their basement level. The water came over the driveway
barrier from the street, and the basement acted as a sort of "detention
pond" for the immediate neighborhood, completely flooded, and now has
cracked walls and floor slabs from all the "weird" hydrostatic pressures.

It was a matter of "inches" in some places, as a single city residential
block might range from those whose homes were completely inundated up to the
eaves, to those who had only wet lawns. Amazing.

The real tragedy is that many people did NOT have flood insurance, and it is
actually going to come down, I think, to charitable donations to aid those
who may well have lost everything they had, just like the folks at
Haynes-Whaley.

Prayers are needed.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company