RE: What Exposure to use?

Thank all,
This is where I started to read more into the code than was written. For my
own edification, why is there a likelihood of greater wind exposure over a
body of water for say a mile than in the middle of a desert for the same
distance. I suppose this is what I did not understand. In most case we use
Exposure C in areas where there are homes  - even farm homes in surrounding
areas where I can see that we take into consideration trees, houses and
other structures that can block a gust of wind.
However, here in the low desert it is very likely to have one building and
nothing taller than a rock for a mile or more. Although I read the code for
what it said, I wondered if the interpretation was such that only a body of
water is considered unobstructed by anything that might act to reduce or
deflect the wind from a structure. If this is true, why would it not be true
in an open area such as might be found in the Dakota's, or the Panhandle and
deserts known as "Dust Bowls".
I hope you see my point - it's simply one of learning.

Dennis