RE: What Exposure to use?

Very good advice - and creative. Thanks Paul, I will consider this as
economy for this client is important. I am a neighbor of this client. His
work takes him all over Southern California and he has, in the past, sought
the help of engineers in other areas where the signs are to be located. He
would rather work with one engineer and being in the same town creates an
opportunity for me. However, if my designs are more conservative than he has
used, he will not be as competitive and this can easily affect his decision
to use my services. This is why it is necessary for me to obtain a value
that can be verified with the building official and then use my judgment to
either scale up or use the values provided.
This was also the motivation for the creation of the spreadsheet I just
donated to the Structuralist.Net. It took a bit of work - as an investment
in his future business - to create the spreadsheet to be used on each job.
The cost is amortized over at least a years worth of work to make the
initial high investment payback in a reasonable period of time.

For those who are interested, the Spreadsheet, which calculates up to three
individual signs on one pole can be found on the Structuralist.Net Software
productivity forum as well as a discussion of how to create the logic for
conditional statements to isolate that portion of each sign that lies within
range where wind loads change due to elevation changes. Your free to use it
and improve upon it. The spreadsheet only calculates the moment at the
bottom of the pole for design of the column and footing using another
software. I suppose I'll add this as it is not a difficult calculation and
post the update soon. Hope others find it useful, but please don't solicit
from my client:o)

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

discussion forums at"

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Regi
ster

Please make sure that when you copy this link that you copy the entire link
beginning at http: and ending with Register. There should be no spaces
between any of the letters or characters.

subscription (always free). To subscribe please use the AutoList
subscription feature for the Polhemus.cc Listservices located at: