Re: Means and Methods

To expand on this a bit, in California in many cities, we have to do
Construction Observation at specified times such as prior to placing
footing concrete and when framing is completed but prior to calling the
Building Dept. for framing inspection. We have to fill out a form and
stamp and sign it and it is presented to the building inspector by the
contractor. If we see something which looks unsafe we may include it in
our report. If it is very unsafe, we call OSHA, and let them shut the job
down. If you shut the job down, you may have to pay for delays- if the
contractor shows that you were mistaken or that they cold have easily
corrected the problem without shutting the job down.
Construction observation on small projects such as houses has all came
about since the '94 EQ.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA