RE: STANDARD PRACTICE

Neil:

What attitude are you referring to?  Would you have us believe that formal calculation submittals and plan checks actually lead to better engineering practice?  Do you have any proof of that?  What blown apart structures are you referring to on the East Coast?  Would they mostly be single family residences, which typically are not designed by any engineer?

Thank you very much, but I don't anticipate needing your help in court.  I have been in practice for more than 30 years.  I've been sued twice over alleged design errors.  Both suits were thrown out as being wholly without merit.  I also was the EOR on a large warehouse that collapsed two years after construction.  That led to a $26 million lawsuit, and more than $1 million of forensic structural testing, but neither I nor my employer were involved in the lawsuit (because we did not design the roof drains and scuppers).  I have also served as an expert witness in the defense of more than a dozen other structural engineers.  Most of those cases involved life loss and claims in excess of $20 million.  Not once did I ask to see the original design calculations, because it was always the design that was on trial, not the calculations.  A third party expert witness cannot form an independent and unbiased opinion of design adequacy if he/she is influenced by the original design calculations.  Incidentally, it happens that all of the defendants were eventually exonerated.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

Stan:

May this attitude is why we see so many blown apart structures in the eastern side of the country.

" by such bureaucratic nonsense as formal calculation submittals and plan-checks."

I'd hate to have to try to defend you in court.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, california