RE: PDA

I disagree with Bill on this. The operating system (Win CE 3.0) takes a bit
more memory than the palm but the advantage of the CE devices is that they
provide enough memory for more programs. I have been using a Casio E-15 for
about three years. It came with 16mb ROM and I added a Flash Card with
16-megs.
I have the following loaded into for my pleasure,

Outlook for Windows CE (Includes calendar, task manager, scheduler, address
book and e-mail reader/writer). (about 500 addresses currently entered
including e-mail addresses)
Explorer type file manager
Pen Recognition software
Notepad that organizes by Subject, date or general topic
PDF reader (not really ready for prime time)
E-book reader
Full Chess game
About two dozen novels - most I have yet to read (from the Guttenberg
library).
Task switcher,
WAV recorder (for leaving voice reminders)
Microsoft Streets 2001 for Windows CE for all of Los Angeles and the Palm
Springs area

On top of this, I still have close to 12-megs free.

With a color device, the available ram will not be as plentiful, but the
reason for so much memory is that Windows promotes the storage of MP3 files
on Flash Cards. Although my PDA can play back MP3 I find it is not worth the
effort as it takes so long just to upload the file. However, for a business
device with very good synronization and just average battery life, the
Windows CE devices offer much more for the money.

However, remember, the success of the Palm devices have been their
simplicity and raw business power. They were not intended for more than this
and can not compete with the number of different types of graphic based
applications that Windows CE devices are planning. One example is a software
for Windows CE PDA's that will allow you to take your Autocad drawings into
the field where you can make notes on the drawing as you walk the building
so that you can take it back to your office and make changes later.

While CE got a late start on a market already dominated by Palm, I don't see
Microsoft losing market shares nor do I see the CE devices as in any
trouble. CE Machines are far from a "dying technology" and if you want
published references - start with the last issue of Maximum PC a power users
(gamers) magazine that has expanded it's publications and has an excellent
article about choosing a PDA - rating which shines for specific features. CE
has a long life ahead of it. The choice depends on how much you plan to do
with your device.

If you are only interested in business related applications and don't plan
to expand into graphics or MP3 or any of the other features I mentioned, the
Palm is for you. Even more of a value is the Visor which is tremendously
expandable.

Do some homework to seek out the programs that may interest you. The best
recognition (pen recognition )software rated is Calligrapher by Paragraph
Software I believe. It is a worthwhile add-on for a CE device and is very
"tweakable" to your handwriting style. I find that I have very few
misinterpreted words and that recognition is very good for handwriting.

Hope this helps.

Dennis S. Wish, PE