RE: STANDARD PRACTICE

you.

One of the biggest problems with making elaborate, formal calculations is
that clients typically won't pay for it.

I simply keep all the computer-generated files for the various design
programs I run in a folder for each job, and those are my "calculations." I
can if need be--and I have done this in the past--reconstruct what I did,
but I doubt anyone else could do so. It is my own unconsciously cryptic
system.

Now, I do formal calcs on CERTAIN jobs--because the client requires them and
so they pay for them. But most of the jobs, particularly commercial or
residential building projects, do NOT have such formal, written calcs
because the clients aren't going to pay me for them. I do the minimum
required to satisfy myself, and that's the extent of it.

Would that we could dictate to our clients what we will do, as attorneys do,
but you can forget it.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas