RE: PDA

They
> have become niche products selected because they have powerful
names--primarily HP and
> Compaq--that still make them. But their market share began to shrink just
as
> soon as non-Palm Computing devices--primarily the Handspring Visor and the
> Sony Clie--began to come out into the market in great numbers. And now, I
> see that Ericsson's new multi-function communications device is using
PalmOS
> as well.

Allow me to quote the June 2001 copy of Maximum PC in the article Palms vs.
Pocket PC:
"Does this mean Pocket PC devices are doomed to obsolescence? Hardly. If
anything, the decision to focus on battery life over power and features may
ultimately mean the undoing of the Palm Empire. For a frequent business
traveler who doesn't want to lug a notebook computer through airports, a
Pocket PC device with its close ties to familiar Windows applications could
be the ultimate PDA. These little wonders simply need to overcome their
gluttonous memory and power requirements.
So how do palm and Pocket PC-based devices differ on the hardware level? We
took Palm's best and brightest unit, the new M505, and pitted it against
Compaq's red-hot iPaq 3650 in a feature-by feature comparison to see which
platform really offers the best PDA possibilities..."

Battery Life: Palm
Memory      : Tie
CPU speed   : Pocket PC
Expansion   : Pocket PC
Screen      : Pocket PC
Interface   : Palm
Expansion    : Pocket PC

Software:
Scheduling : Pocket PC - Pocket Informant
Productivity: Pocket PC - Microsoft Word and suite of products similar to PC
software
Games      : Palm - Dope Wars
Utilities  : Palm - GNU Keyring
Reference  : Palm Noah Pro
Entertainment: Pocket PC - PocketTV

Conclusion:
"Will one company ultimately emerge as the ultimate manufacturer of PDAs?
Many predicted Palm's demise when Microsoft first entered the PDA market -
clearly a bad call. But even if PocketPC devices continue to increase in
popularity, there's enough room for both platforms. Expect to get plenty of
service life from either a Pocket PC or a Palm."

Bill, you also claimed:
"Just notice that the standard Windows CE device--of which there are fewer
now than a couple of years ago--typically comes with 32 MB of RAM, while the
PalmOS devices usually have no more than 8MB standard."

Casio E100 16-bit Color with MIPS 131MHz RISC - 16-meg standard Ram CE 3.0
Casio E15 Grey scale - 16 meg ram CE 2.11
Casio EM500 BU - 16 meg ram
Casio E125 32Mb ram
Casio PVS450 4Mb ram Casio OS (based on and compatible with Windows CE) 55
hr battery life
Casio PV-400 Plus - 4Mb Ram same as above
Casio PV-S250 2Mb Ram
Casio PV-200e 2Mb Ram same as above PC Synchronization with MS Outlook,
storage up to 4,000 contacts, 4000 schedule items, 3,000 expense and 600
memo files - cost $79.99 Suggested Retail.

For a comparison of most all PDA's running Windows CE visit the following
site:
http://www.pencomputing.com/WinCE/PPC/PocketPC.html

Unlike Bill's claim that almost all CE devices require a minimum of 32meg
rom for the operating system, the fact is that almost all require 16 megs of
rom for the operating system, task bar and pen translation program and the
ability to multi-task multiple programs in the 16 megs of rom storage. In my
case, I keep my e-book reader, Outlook scheduling, tasks, contacts and
e-mail, explore file manager and still have ROM memory left over.
the units provide 16 megs of RAM for storage of data and programs on the
device which are not loaded in memory.
In my case I added 16 megs of RAM as a flash card giving me a total of
32-megs for my Casio E15 and the flash card is used to store about 10 or 12
full novels with space left over.

While there is no argument that the CE device has a larger overhead for the
operating system, the system is stable and rarely (very rarely) requires a
reboot or crashes. In fact, when you turn it off, all programs that you
loaded into memory remain when you start it again. For this reason, many of
the programs lack a means to shut them down. However, there are many free
programs that provide useful utilities.

I think that when you consider the number of categories for the various
programs that you might need to purchase above what is supplied with the
PDA, you will find an equivalent number of categories to fill your need,
albeit not as many choices. However, when you find a good program it is
generally worth the small price that these programs charge.

So, Bill, my friend, the reports of the CE demise has been greatly
exaggerated and if you recall, you made the same claim as to it's demise
almost two years ago when I brought up the same question on this List before
buying the CE device.

As long as there is a need for color in PDA devices, Palm will start to lose
market shares as they have a long way to go to match the bright colors and
clarity of the TFT screens that are becoming standard for CE devices.

The high Price? Well compare the M505 to the iPaq. Not much difference and
you gain so much color and "desk" space on the iPaq that I wonder if battery
life is really all that important as long as I can plug it in each night
before I go to bed.

Bill, the war isn't over - it was just never a war. There is enough to
satisfy everyone and while both devices are very good, some prefer more
bells and whistles on the CE device as I do. My next unit will be a color
PDA as I have  been anything but dissatisfied with my CE device.

Regards,
Dennis

Cost: Palm M505 $450.00  iPaq: $500.00