Click here to see an incredible photo of the aftermath of the Great Houston
Flood of '01.
What you're looking at are some of the brand-new underpass bridges over US
59 (the Southwest Freeway) just southwest of Downtown Houston. Bear in mind
that these bridges are about 20'-22' ABOVE the traffic lanes below. The
freeway here is a depressed section ("canyon") and is eight traffic lanes
IMO, we should have had some Venetian gondolas plying up and down the
freeway while the floodwaters were there!
William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org